Crafting Digital Writing Item: 46969
Crafting Digital Writing
Composing Texts Across Media and Genres
by Troy Hicks
Written for teachers of writing by a teacher of writing, Crafting Digital Writing is both an introduction for teachers new to digital writing and a menu of ideas for those who are tech-savvy. Troy Hicks explores the questions of how to teach digital writing by examining author’s craft, demonstrating how intentional thinking about author’s craft in digital texts engages students in writing that is grounded in their digital lives.
Troy draws on his experience as a teacher, professor, and National Writing Project site director to show how the heart of digital composition is strong writing, whether it results in a presentation, a paper, or a video. Throughout the book, Troy offers:
- in-depth guidance for helping students to compose web texts (such as blogs and wikis), presentations, audio, video, and social media
- mentor texts that give you a snapshot into what professionals and students are doing right now to craft digital writing
- suggestions for using each type of digital text to address the narrative, informational, and argument text types identified in the Common Core State Standards
- a wealth of student-composed web texts for each digital media covered, along with links to them on the web
- technology tips and connections, as well as numerous tools for creating a digital writing assignment.
Grades 4-12, 208 pages