Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading Item: 30876
Texts and Lessons for Content-Area Reading
With More Than 75 Articles from The New York Times, Rolling Stone, The Washington Post, Car and Driver, Chicago Tribune, and Many Others
by Harvey Daniels and Nancy Steineke
In the same teacher-friendly, classroom-wise voices that made Subjects Matter and Content-Area Writing bestsellers, Daniels and Steineke prove that with the right materials and the right lessons, you can turn your kids into much better readers in your subject field by showing:
- how proficient readers think
- how skillful collaborators act
- how to use quick and engaging activities that add to,
- not steal from subject-matter learning.
Each real-world text was chosen for its subject-area relevance, its interest to teens, and for its "wow factor"-the texts most likely to engage kids in discussion and debate. Step-by-step lessons accompany each text, including:
- 23 Strategy Lessons that focus closely on at least one key comprehension strategy or collaboration skill that proficient learners use, and address the Common Core Standards for ELA
- 10 Text Set Lessons that directly align to commonly taught curricular topics and offer a deeper, longer engagement in the subjects and strategies at hand.
Grades 6-12, 280 pages