Words Their Way Word Sorts for Within Word Pattern Spellers, 3rd Ed Item: 575681
Words Their Way Word Sorts for Within Word Pattern Spellers, 3rd Ed
by Marcia Invernizzi, Francine Johnston, Donald R. Bear, Shane Templeton
The third-edition of this stage-specific companion volume to Words Their Way: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling Instruction provides a complete curriculum of reproducible sorts and detailed directions for the teacher working with students in the within word pattern stage of spelling. The active hands-on word sorting approach to word study involves students in thinking about patterns and sounds as they learn about vowels and other features. Here you will find the tools you need for week-by-week implementation of word study.
This third edition includes:
- A new format and expanded directions for each lesson designed to help teachers engage students in active thinking and discussion.
- Generalizations or "big idea" explicitly stated for the teacher at the beginning of each lesson.
- A new Apply section that asks students to use the generalizations to read, write and spell unstudied words.
- Notes for the teacher in each unit to offer literature connections, background information and objectives as well as teaching tips and ideas for extending the word sort lesson through practice and application.
- 59 reproducible sorts that include 9 new sorts.
- Goal setting forms and unit spell checks to plan instruction and monitor student progress. Clear guidelines are offered in each unit for interpreting pre- and posttest scores.
Grades 1-4, 160 pages